Digital Residency on 6-10 February 2023
Theatre in Palm, international project funded by Creative Europe, is hosting a digital residency on 6–10 February 2023.
The project will later host two more residencies during the 3-year-project.
The residency is aimed at emerging theatre artists, such as
- Theatre or performing arts students,
- recent graduates (0-5 years),
- people interested in gaining new professional competences and making new openings in the field of performing arts,
- other newcomers in the field of professional theatre.
Each participating emerging artist will be paid a 150-400 € grant.
The content of the digital residency
The theme of the residency is ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT. The impulse material and starting point for collaboration in residency work is:
- Antigone -play and in particular the study of the moral contradictions of the characters in the play of Sophocles
- Opening Speech of António GUTERRES (U.N. Secretary-General) in the climate conference Egypt on 7th of November 2022
- as well as chosen object important to emerging artist oneself that symbolizes a value or a thing that you do not want to lose
The selected emerging artists for the residency will receive a pre-task well in advance of the start of the residency. Selected artists will get to know their duo-partner country also in advance.
The aim of the residency and Theatre in Palm in general is to provide a platform for the European emerging theatre artists by e.g. providing concrete opportunities for career advancement and internationalization.
- In the residency artists share their thoughts and artistic methods collaborating with given impulse materials and based on a pre-task.
- In the end of the week every duo will present a short (max. 5 minutes) presentation/showcase as a result of the collaboration.
- In each Theatre in Palm country, 5 selected artists-in-residence will form a group that will work together locally, face-to-face.
- These groups of 5 artists-in-residence will get to co-operate deeply with another partner country’s group, forming a joint duo residency (online).
- In addition, all twelve residencies will meet together in joint online meetings.
- The work is scheduled, organized, and guided by experienced mentors, providing opportunities for deeper transnational co-operation, networking and mentoring of given task in residence.
During the week we work as follows:
- Working online together: start, intermediate and final seminars to promote work in a large, international group
- In joint online meetings of the duo residency groups
- In a physical, local residency: 5 emerging artists-in-residency, experienced mentors
All times are in CET (Central European Time)
Monday 6 February
- 13.00–14.30 Everyone’s joint start online, with an inspiration speech and assignment for the week
- 15.00–16.30 Local face to face residency works
- 16.45–18.00 Getting-to know meets with duo group
Tuesday 7 February
- 15.00–18.00 Face to face residency
- 18.00–20.00 duo work online
Wednesday 8 February
- 13.00–14.30 intermediate seminar where one or two participant from each duo presents the stage of their work in progress
- 15.00–16.30 Local face-to-face residency works
- 16.45–18.00 Getting-to know meets with a duo group
Thursday 9 February
- 15.00–18.00 Local face to face residency
- 18.00–20.00 Duo work online
Friday 10 February
- 13.00–14.00 Duos prepare to present their output on-line
- 14.00–17.00 Final on-line seminar: the outputs for comment and further thoughts/development proposals + final words
Application for digital residency – NOW CLOSED (*
(* Due to technical reasons, we take applications to Sweden until Sunday 30.1.23 by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can apply for residency if you are:
- An emerging artist in the field of performing arts
- Willing to collaborate/co-operate outside of your own profession
- Interested in international career opportunities and networks
- Prepared to work in English (the project language)
- You already have an idea, concept or piece of unfinished work that you wish to develop further
Evaluation criteria for the application:
- you are an emerging artist
- you demonstrate motivation and commitment to work during the residency week with your application
- you have sufficient knowledge of the English language
- a multidisciplinary group of participants is selected for the residency